Sammy Gyamfi lied in his response to the Saglemi suit – ET Mensah

0
ET Mensah
ET Mensah

A former Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Enoch Teye Mensah, has said that the comments made about him by National Communications Officer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Sammy Gyamfi in the suit against Collins Dauda over the Saglemi Housing project, were all lies.

Read Also: All you need to know about Saglemi Housing Project – Sammy Gyamfi writes

He said the facts do not support what Sammy Gyamfi said about him.

This comes after the Attorney-General (A-G) and Minister of Justice, Godfred Dame earlier this week filed court processes to prosecute former Minister of Water Resources, Works and Housing, Alhaji Collins Dauda; his successor, Dr. Kwaku Agyeman-Mensah, and three other persons for allegedly wilfully causing financial loss to the state over the Saglemi Affordable Housing Project.

The state is hitting the accused persons with 52 counts of criminal charges against them for allegedly misapplying the state’s $200 million to pay for less than 1,500 affordable housing units at Saglemi, instead of the 5,000 units parliament granted approval for.

Read Also: Government secures 4,500 Acres of land to build more affordable houses – Asenso-Boakye

In response to the suit, Sammy Gyamfi said in a statement among other things that “It is instructive to note, that the Minister of Works and Housing at the time, Hon. E.T Mensah informed Parliament during the debate on the approval of the loan facility, that the 5000 housing units will not be built at a go, but rather over a period of time, that is, in phases. This is captured in black and white in the Parliamentary Hansard of 23rd October, 2013.

“Subsequent to the grant of Parliamentary approval, the Ministry of Works and Housing under Hon. E.T Mensah prepared and executed a Works Agreement with the Contractor for the project, Construtora OAS Limited. It is in the Works Agreement that government decided to build the 5000 housing units in 4 phases. The consultant for the project was AESL. Note that Parliament had already approved the loan Agreement, and therefore the Works Agreement which was an issue of implementation by the Ministry was not required to be approved by Parliament.”

But Mr ET Mensah who is currently a member of the Council of State said on the Good Evening Ghana show on Tuesday August 3 that “Every thing is not true, it is a packed of lies. You [host of the programme] should have alerted me, I would have come with the handover notes.

“The project started when the STX became a fiasco. It was Mills’ project, he was the one who signed and gave the approval.”

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here