Former Member of Parliament for the Ledzokuku and former deputy Minister of Health, Dr Bernard Okoe Boye has said the disregard for COVID-19 protocols during Sir John’s funeral ceremony was regrettable.

He told Johnnie Hughes on TV3’s New Day that what was planned for the funeral was not followed through and for that matter measures are being put in place to ensure that nothing of that sort ever happen again anywhere in the country.

“What happened was regrettable and the lessons have been sufficiently picked from what happened and I know for a fact that those things that led to scenes like this will be actually taken care of to prevent them from happening.”

Hundreds of mourners thronged Sakora-Wonoo, a community in the Kwabre East District in the Ashanti region, on Thursday, June 2, 2021, to file past the remains of the former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Forestry Commission, disregarding Covid-19 safety protocols and breaching the Public Restriction Order enacted in March last year.

Dr Okoe-Boye said despite measures were constituted to ensure the funeral went without “the bad press it has brought with it, the crowd still found their way there” and that the president would not have turned up to partake in the act of lawlessness

“If anybody had pleaded that this is what was going to happen at Sir John’s funeral, this is how it was going to look like, the President Akufo-Addo I sat with in the Covid-19 meeting would not have stepped there.”

He also called on the general public to abstain from organizing and attending large gatherings in order to prevent the virus from spreading and said the government will do everything within its capacity to ensure such gatherings of large crowds don’t occur again.

Source: 3news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here